Tuesday, October 04, 2005

This was so cool. . .

Walking into the gym last night, completely NOT feeling like 80 minutes of sports cardio, but pressing on, when a guy on the ellipticals calls out to me, "Ohio State."

I stopped. He wore a Beat Michigan shirt in Ohio State colors. We start chatting.

"When did you graduate?" I ask. Like I never meet anyone who graduated in my time.

"Eighty-five," he said.

"Me, too! Were you in a frat?"

"Fiji," he said.

"OMG, I was a Phi Mu! I knew Bill Gamble pretty well." He married one of my sorority sisters, Twila. In fact, she was instrumental in me joining Phi Mu in the first place. When I got my bid, she came up to the apartment to give it to me. I think she was with Maureen O'Brien. Mo - was that you???

"Yeah, Bill. He was a friend."

Then we started talking about Ohio State, football, a few people we knew, then about what he does, what I do, etc. His name is Patrick and he's an anesthesiologist at Palm Bay Hospital. Isn't that weird? An engineer I would expect in these parts because of Harris and Gruman and Rockwell, but a doctor?

Maybe not a big deal to you, but Ohio State is a big place, the Greek system is big, or was in my day, and it's been 20 years! I thought it was pretty cool. God kissing my heart. . . cause He knows I like stuff like that.

Great story on Oprah yesterday how Faith Hill heard songs from a new songwriter, a 36 year-old stay at home Mom and fell in love with her songs! Her album was done and she said, "Wait, we're going back in and recording three of this woman's songs!" The title song, Fireflies, is the woman's song. Pretty cool.

Go for your dreams. But really, keep you heart close to the beat of Jesus. The days are dark. The time is drawing near to the end of the age. Think eternity, think eternity.

Ecclesiastes 3:11 "He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end."

2 comments:

Lynette Sowell said...

You mentioned:
He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.

No wonder people are reaching for something beyond the physical. I'm glad we have something to offer--and know the One who gave to us! :)

Anonymous said...

hey that was cool