Sunday, November 07, 2004

The Art of Hearing God

I attended Streams Ministries (John Paul Jackson www.streamsministries.com) 101 Course, The Art of Hearing God Thursday night, Friday and Saturday ALL day. Literally. While much of the course was basic, it was great to be reminded of every day things we forget in our walk with the Lord. The biggest "every day thing" we must have? Character! Character, Character. Character matters.

The big take away for me this weekend was a reminder to Listen to others. Really pay attention to people's heart and words. Also, to watch for my response, maybe even "fast" words. Our culture is so used to venting, speaking, emoting when we should really just be silent. One of the instructors gave a great example on listening. Had me laughing even today because it's so reflective of our society. He said, "You're talking to a friend at church who's telling you he really had break through with his boss this week, and as soon as he stops talking you say, 'Did I tell you about my Throne Room experience?'"

I laugh because it's so true. I used to call it Spiritual Olympics. Everyone telling their stories and after awhile it just sounds like one-upmanship.

At the end of the seminar all the Streams people prayed for us. I had dinner Friday night with three of the instructors, so they knew a little about me, but their prayers were good. But this one woman did not know me at all. I think I said "Hi" to her. When she prayed for me she prayed for "the stories and the music." Pretty impressive. God is so good.

But the consistant word I got during prayer sessions this weekend was relax, rest, and that God's given me all I need to do what He's called me to do. I know this will surprise some of you (ha!), but I'd been fretting over my next chic lit. I have a lot of ideas, but I'm not sure they are good enough. But, driving up to the church for Saturday's seminar, I decided, "Lord, you are in control. You can give me stories, contracts, whatever. I just want to be faithful to You." I don't want writing or any "thing" to steal my peace and take away my passion for Jesus.

Oh, that was another take away from the weekend: Peace is the potting soil of revelation. We have to be rooted and grounded in the love and peace of the Lord.

A few laughs - I had a few laughs sitting next to Tina Z and Helen.

Reading - I'm reading Confessions of a Shopaholic. Very funny. The British terms make it even funnier.

Editing - Good headway on my chic lit edits last week, but I'm still on the first part of the book. I'm ironing out some plot and timing issues. I definitely think the story is stronger, but am a little embarrassed I submitted it with the weaknesses. But, I'm learning and next time will be better. I'm learning the balance between trusting God and leaving my writing career up to Him, and "doing" the work. I have to do the work, sure, but He has to lead the way. :)

Hello to my son, Eric. I love you and miss you. Thanks for calling the other night.


No comments: