Friday, October 06, 2006

Summer love, con't 8 - Spring '77

May 7, '77

Prom night, but I wasn't going. My dates' brother got me off the hook and I was elated. I'd have more time with Pete. But when I saw him at the time clock Saturday morning before punching in, I knew something was amiss.

"Hi," he said. "I think I'll be able to get off at 2:00." His eyes didn't sparkle at me, and his bright smile didn't light his face.

"O-okay." I'd planned to get off early because of the prom, but when that changed, Pete and I made plans to have an early evening date. Since he didn't bring up plans, neither did I.

At 2:00, Pete drove me to my friend Lorena's. She was going to prom with Ronny and I was helping her get ready.

On the way he said, "I saw my competition in golf and I have to start buckling down." Immediately, I knew we weren't going out. "I hope I didn't ruin your plans."

Oh no. Forget you told me we were going out every weekend, especially this one. That you loved me and loved spending time with me. You knew I broke the date with Mike because I wanted to be with you instead. All of this I said to myself.

So, as we pull into the driveway and I get out of the car, he leaves me with, "See you later."

That's it. Not an "I'll pick you up late. Or we'll go out tomorrow." Only I'll see you later. Creep.

Oh Lord, please don't let it be over. We had 2 good dates, didn't we? (LOL) Lorena comforted me by surmising Pete was too inexperienced in dating to play games.

Sure felt like a game to me. I'm confused and hurt. I thought he loved me.

Lorena looked lovely in her prom dress and her date, handsome. He wore a brown and blue tux. As they drove off, I curled up at Lorena's, wondering what Mr. Rameriz was doing with his evening, and what changes the next week would bring.

The next day, Sunday, was mother's day and I woke up worried. What if it's over? But as the day wore on I decided, "It's not worth it. There's a lot of life and living ahead of me. I'm only 16. Why die over someone now? I'm too young to get engaged or married. So, why worry?"

I felt better after that. . .

No comments: