Friday, October 13, 2006

Horse Sense

Another great blog from my hubby:

I had talked to Ryan several times during our downtown outreach, and he'd been polite, but never really opened up.

I'd invited him to our bible study, which he had assiduously avoided. But last Tuesday night he followed me around, so I made a point to spend some time with him. He asked me for a Bible. So, I hooked him up with a New Testament.

Why the change? He was having some significant conflict with his girlfriend. God uses difficulty to get our attention, but believe it or not, it's not His preferred method.

(Psa 32:8-9) I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye. Do not be like the horse or like the mule, Which have no understanding, Which must be harnessed with bit and bridle, Else they will not come near you.

That's why I'm trying to come near to God every day. I don't like being harnessed.

As a side observation, I find it interesting to stand on a porch talking with someone about God while another guy sits three feet away drinking a beer and smoking a joint.

They must finally believe we're not cops. We are there because we love them.

So why was Ryan talking to me and not the beer-drinking-pot-smoking guy? Because most people know that they need help from God in tough times; they just don't know how to find Him.

After four months of shining my light in the darkness, Ryan finally saw. And the truth is God is a lot easier to find when His people are out in the world acting and loving like He does.

2 comments:

Will H. Donaldson Family said...

Good Stuff! Keep 'em coming!

Will.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Tony, I love you and I love your heart. Mom Hayes