Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Starting a new book

Starting a new book is always thrilling. Then, a third of the way through I have to remind myself that, yes the first draft is hard, yes it all sounds the same and cliche. It will get better. It will get better. It always does.

Plowing over blank white pages is like plowing through eighteen inches of fresh fallen snow, walking up hill, both ways, with the sharp wind in your face and your gloves at home on the hearth, warming by the fire.

I love fresh fallen snow.

Went to prayer, then took my car to the shop where I learned my AC compressor is going. Naturally. I mean, gee whiz, the car is four years old. Note to the world: Do NOT buy a Volkswagen! Ever. Cheap parts, weak warranty. Everything breaks right after the warranty runs out. Shoulda run tail when the told us the warranty was only for 2 years.

But I researched my Cabrio and other than advise about not buying leather seats (too hot for Florida ), the Cabrio owners gave the car great reviews. Well, now I know. They were paid to lie. Had to be. I can't imagine any car owner raving about a car that starts to fall apart before it's two years old. Now, at four years old, it's ready for the nursing home!

I want a Mini Cooper convertible next. Think they will be any better?

After a lovely time at the auto shop. . . really. The folks there are great, I stopped by Barnes-n-Noble and got "The Big Stone Gap" by Andriana Trigiani. Might as well see what the competition is doing. She's not writing hick lit, but writing about life in the small-town south. Mountain people.

Now, I'm blogging as if to prime the pump and get to writing. Youth church is tonight so I don't have long to mess around. 2000k words, here I come.

8 comments:

Val said...

I love Minis. And I've heard really good things about them. :-)

Tracey Bateman said...

I know nothing about cars. Now, I'm an expert when it comes to minivans. :) Want some advice about one of those?

way to go getting those words in. You inspire me. I'm going to go finish my proposal.

Anonymous said...

2000k? I love you, but you suck. LOL I'm SUCH a slug.

Christine Lynxwiler said...

You're SUCH an eclectic reader. Maybe that's what makes you such an awesome author! Note to self: Read more books. :)

Christine Lynxwiler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christine Lynxwiler said...

You're SUCH an eclectic reader. Maybe that's what makes you such an awesome author! Note to self: Read more books. :)

Christine Lynxwiler said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Christine Lynxwiler said...

ROFLOL! I can't believe it. It was taking forever to work, so I kept hitting Login and Publish. Nothing changed. Then Voila`! THREE identical comments from me. :) I deleted the two repeats, but I couldn't resist leaving an explanation!