Sunday, July 29, 2007

Why do you write?

My friend and author extraordinaire, Lisa Samson, posted an interesting blog.

She wrote:

A little while ago, my publisher asked me a question. He told me not to sit and think about it. "Give me your first response."

"All right." To be honest, I was a little nervous. I'm one of those people who won't answer in church unless I know it's the right one. Usually "Jesus" works a good fifty percent of the time!

"Why do you write?"

"So that people will know they're not alone."

The words popped out before my brain really had time to figure out the answer, as if they'd been sitting underneath the tip of my tongue for years.

I loved Lisa's answer. So, I pondered my own. "Why do I write?'

To be honest, I wanted to sound deep and profound like Lisa. Getting to know her recently, her response so resonates with the truth of who she is.

So, why do I write? I asked my husband, "Why do I write?"

He said, "Because it's in you."

My answer then lies in destiny, I think. Writing is a part of who I am in God as much as a worshipper or intercessor. I am His mouthpiece in the written word. His unique work in me brings a unique voice to the world.


Do I reach everyone? No. Does this make me the best writer in the world? Hardly. But there are those whose hearts resonate with the fragrance of God emanating from the stories I write.

Do I have all the answers? No? Do I ask the right questions in my stories? No. But I hope to present some truth about the human journey on the page, and offer hope that God is the way, the truth and the light.

Life's journey, in case you haven't noticed, is full of pot holes. You'd think we'd have better infrastructure, but there are those times and places when the road is worn, washed away and treacherous.

For me, I want to continue to reach out and work my way into the community. I've not been a part of the down town outreach Tony and Ted launched, but now might be my time.

And, I'm going back to work with Sarah for a brief time. Stay tune for some interesting stories. Really interesting. ;)

My faith needs exercised. My faith needs to be out there. When I travelled for Harris in the '80s, I witnessed to every one, every where. A Jewess in Australia - she came to me. My translator in Spain. People I met from California to Maine.

The solitary life of writing keeps me inside more than outside. It gets comfortable. So, I'm working to get out there.

How about you? Why do you write? And what are you doing to be salt and light besides writing? No condemnation or judgement here, just asking.

Peace out.

No comments: