Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Two other Crosses

Two men were crucified with Jesus. Criminals condemned for their deeds and Scripture was fulfilled, "He was number among the transgressors."

One of the criminals hurled insults at Jesus. Condemned to the same death, his pride caused him to join the crowd in taunting Him.

The other criminal rebuked him, "Do you not fear God?" Then he cried out to Jesus, "Remember me when you come into Your kingdom."

How amazing. He showed both faith and humility.

Jesus' answer moves me. "Today, (today!) you will be with me in paradise."

This picture of the crucifixion is a powerful life picture. All of us will face the cross - believers and unbelievers alike.

For the one criminal, he chose pride and the cross of death. The second criminal chose the way of humility and the cross of life.

How many will come face-to-face with the Cross of Jesus and reject it? It's frightening.

Oh, to be like the second man and cry out, "Remember me Jesus."

Do we recognize the power of the cross? Are we angry at Jesus? Hurling insults out of hurt or pride? It only leads to death.

Whether we believe in Jesus or not, all of us go the way of the cross. It cannot be escaped.

Which criminal do you relate to?

1 comment:

Kristy Dykes said...

The one who cried out, "Remember me." Most definitely. I do that every day. GRIN, but true. Reminds me of the old spiritual, "It's me, it's me, oh Lord, standing in the need of prayer."

Great post!