Monday, February 07, 2005

Cathy Got Married

Sitting in IHOP Saturday morning, Tony and I did the "old married couple thing" and sat at breakfast reading. He, a Sci-Fi on his palm, me, the Florida Today (which I read once a year, maybe.)

Waiting for my eggs and 'cakes, I flipped to the comics. What? What's this? Cathy got married! Cathy, the single, career woman's comic icon, the original "chic." Bridget Jones' predecessor. The first to make fun of our obsession with weight, shoes, and noncommital boyfriends. (See "He's Just Not That Into You.")

Saturday's comic was her wedding day! She married Ivan. I can't believe it. Since I haven't kept up with the story line, I have no idea what lead up to it, but Cathy Got Married.

I heard this is the year the Lord is blessing people with marriages. Maybe Cathy is a "sign." Ha...

Super Bowl - The Super Bowl is always fun. Big screen TV at church, lots of food, Greg with a microphone. The night of Super Bowl XXII, Tony and I talked for the first time. Back in those days, we had Sunday night church and while I had Super Bowl plans with my friends, they fell through hours before the big game. I got in my car to go shopping, but the Holy Spirit kept tapping my heart, "Go to church."

"I did, this morning," I said. But I couldn't shake the proding. So, I went home, changed and went to church. Tony and I stood in the back afterwards and talked for an hour. Seventeen years later, we're still talking.

I guess Super Bowl XXII has to be my favorite. Don't know who was playing, don't know who won. Maybe the Broncos? The '80's was their heyday right? Or the Redskins.

Anyway, I guess you could say I found love because of a Super Bowl. LOL! Mostly I found love because of a Super God. There's no one like Him.

Sling Back Chair - Years ago, before we were married, Tony's parent's bought him this sling chair that he could rock in. It's really comfortable. My backside sits lower than my legs. It's a great laptop writing chair. I've pulled it into the living room and spent time today writing. Got stuff done. :) I think the chair is now an official part of my writing life. My writing chair.

Joined the Gym - Oh yeah, joined the gym tonight. Tony went to another place last year, but I wanted to start lifting weights again, so we joined Pro Health together. I loved it. I'm excited. I've gained flghdut number of pounds (that's me with my hand over my mouth) and want to get it off and get down to my goal weight. No more fooling around. (Bill Cosby: "You've fooled around long enough.)

John 3:27 & 29: Great revvy today. Disciples of John the Baptist complained to John that Jesus was baptising people. John responds with, "A man can receive nothing unless it has been given him from heaven." Then in verse 29, he blows us away with, "He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom's voice So this joy of mine has been made full."

Basically, it's all about Jesus. We can't be jealous of each other because a man can receive no-thing unless heaven gives it to him. And, the bride (hint: the church) belongs to Jesus. He's the bridegroom. We can't covet the Bridegroom's bride. "Hey, Jesus, mind if I use the ones you love for my own gain?"

No, only He's earned the right to call us His own. I didn't die for the Bride, you didn't die. Only He gave up His life for love.

You belong to Jesus. I belong to Jesus. We can't be jealous over each other, or covet what the other has. We should point to Jesus, point to the good in each other and remind ourselves "you are the Beloved."

"Rightly do they love you, Jesus."

Well, off to do other things. Maybe sleep.

Oh, see below. My boy Eric, Wheaton grad, with a friend in Chicago.


1 comment:

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Oh.. this is the year the Lord is blessing people with marriages? Woohoo I have a chance! ;-)

Oh and SuperBowl XXII... Washington 42, Denver 10 (Ok so I'm a nerd. I had to look it up and see.)

>>>>"You belong to Jesus. I belong to Jesus. We can't be jealous over each other, or covet what the other has. We should point to Jesus, point to the good in each other and remind ourselves "you are the Beloved." <<<<
I love that!