Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Big God

A few weeks ago I read the lyrics to a contemporary Christians song where the theme and question was "God, can you be small? For me?"

I understand the writer's heart. We all have those moments when we wonder if the amazing, all knowing, All Mighty is anywhere near the vicinity of our pain and grief. He feels so foreign, so far away. So silent.

I've been around the where-are-you-God mountain a few too many times. My circumstance held me captive, chained me to fear and unbelief.

The lyrics struck me, challenged me. I'm not saying the writer is wrong, it's truly an artistic expression of a sincere heart.

But, for me, I pondered. Is asking God if He can be small the real question? What if the question posed is more like "God, can you lift me up out of my despair or circumstance so I can stand on your large stage and see beyond myself?"

"God, how much of your vastness and glory can I see to help me through my pain?"

Comfort comes when I grasp God's enormity. When I grasp His ability to love me even when I fail, when I don't deserve His love.

Comfort comes when we know a big God walks among the caged girls in India and touches the sick and wounded lying in the street.

We already know God can be small. He came as a Man two thousand years ago, died on a Cross and rose from the grave. The God-Man Jesus sits at the Father's right hand interceding for us.

By this, we have access to the very emerald throne John saw in Revelation 4. We are invited in, given privilege, adopted as sons and daughters of the Most High.

If I see "larger" and "wider" my day-to-day is expanded. The mundane is not so mun or dane. If I'm dissed or over looked, so what? If I'm hurting, well, so is He. If I've e gone UP there to where He is, if I understand the "smallness" of God already dwells within me.

Colossians 1:27 says it's the mystery of the ages. Christ in us, the hope of Glory. Crazy. He's big, He's small. He's in heaven, He's in us by the Spirit! God is all over the place. Now, if I could only remember when shadows fall over my soul.

In our human condition, it's so natural to be concerned about ourselves and being earthly bound. But God is wanting us to engage Him in a more intimate and eternal way, in a grand, loving faith.

Jesus says to John in Revelation 4, "Come up here!" And a door opened in heaven. It's not poetic language, an analogy or symbol, it was real! A door opened in heaven and John was beckoned.

Paul encourages us in Philippians 3 to "Forget the things which are behind and press onward to the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."

God is with us always, even to the end of the age. Our challenged is to be filled with faith, hope and love, no matter what is going on around us.

My prayer is to be like John, see the open door and ask Jesus, "Help me come up there."

1 comment:

Sharon Hayes said...

Rachel, this is so beautiful - and to think, He's small enough to live in me but BIG enough to cover the universe - and everything in between. What an Almighty God we have, everlasting, never changing, always there. If we could only GRASP that to the fullest. I love you so much.