Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Dream Team and Sarah

After being out of youth ministry for a year now, I'm starting to pick up a few extra curricular activities.

One, I'm on a Tuesday night dream team. We set up in a corner of a local coffee shop and interpret dreams. One team member goes around with flyers telling shopees what we are about-sans the Christianese-and asks them if they have dreams they want interpreted.

We usually do 2- 3 a night, though we want to do more. But we end up ministering to the people because God shows up. Gasp. Big surprise. Not.

It's fun because people have some weird, disturbing dreams and we are able to debunk the mystery. The sigh of relief on their faces is cool.

I'm also back working with Sarah two hours a week. My friend Ted works for Sarah and her mom, Helen. It's a very long story, but Sarah checked out of life about forty years ago as a teen.

She's smart and clever, but her mind is just some place else most of the time. When I went over to today to pick her up to take her down to the beach, she did remember me.

At first she kept tell me to go away and calling me a "little sh--" but she got over it. I just talk to her and try to draw her out.

I said, "Sarah, if you were writing a book, what would you write about?"

"The beach." We were driving by the beach at the time.

"Good. What about the beach?"

"I don't know?"

"Is there a girl on the beach?" I asked.

" Yeah. A girl."

"What's she doing?"

"I don't know."

"Is she walking, swimming..."

"Yeah, swimming, playin the in the water."

"Is there a boy on the beach?"

"Yeah, yeah."

And so it went. She's interesting to hang out with, scary at times because she's not overly fond of clothes.

But, you know, I think she was truly happy to see me. She was smiling as we walked on the beach and gave me a kiss on the cheek.

Made me think more of my James 2 revelation from yesterday.

I know I promised a "Behind The Scenes" with Lost In NashVegas. I'll do part 2 tomorrow.

Blessings!

2 comments:

Sharon Hayes said...

Rachel, Sarah is one of those you talked about in your James 2 post. You are walking out the Word. You are brave taking her into the public.
You are working on your crown.
Love Mom

Rel said...

I have to say, I love your Mum's comment as much as yours :)