Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Folgers Gourmet Coffee

Several months ago, Folgers emailed me about taste testing their new coffees and posting a blog. the fall was so busy, I'm just now getting around to the taste test results.

But first, a disclaimer:

I am not a coffee drinker and thus informed Folgers. But, I thought it would be fun to see if their new blends would capture my non-coffee palate.

Now, if Diet Coke needs a taste tester, they should look me up. I'm their girl! I could do a whole series on my switch from Diet Pepsi to Diet Coke.

So, when my brother Peter-John was here, who is a coffee drinker, along my husband Tony, we brewed up one of the coffee's every morning: Morning Cafe, Vanilla Biscotti, and Lively Columbian.

I love the names of the blends. Love the packaging. A nice aroma filled the kitchen. I looked forward to my taste test. So, Pete and I poured a cup.

Hum, taste like black coffee. Plain. Well it was the Lively Columbian blend, the others will have more flavor.

But, they all tasted the same to me. Regular, good to the last drop Folgers coffee. I'm always disappointed with flavored our gourmet coffees. They never taste remotely like their name - any coffee brand, not just these Folgers blends.

I want the Vanilla Biscotti flavor to compete with the flavor of the coffee bean. Or Chocolate Truffle to taste like chocolate.

The concensus from Pete and Tony, as coffee drinkers, was, "Eh," shrug, "it's okay."

If you love coffee, and love coffee with a hint of something flavorful or aromatic, try these Folgers blends.

If you're not a coffee lover and you want to try something fancy, Folgers won't cut it. It's not going to be a General Food International Coffee moment.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Sorry to make a correction to your blog but I just couldn't keep on reading "Folders" without cracking up. It's "Folgers". That just proves that you are not a coffee drinker like you said. And yeah, it was nothing special. Now, try Storyville coffee...that is some good stuff! Love you!

Kristy Dykes said...

I love coffee, but only if it's doctored up with sugar and milk.

Rachel Hauck said...

That's too funny!! I fixed it. I never even noticed! Thanks, Jules.

Love, Rahel

Pamela S. Meyers said...

LOL, Rachel you're too funny. Your problem is you need to taste real flavored coffee. I get my beans at the super market and sometimes they grind them or I bring them home and grind them. My vanilla coffee tastes and smells like vanilla. But then I blend it with other beans I get from Costco that are roasted by Starbucks. You have to be an coffee lover I guess.

I'm a Diet Coke girl too though!

Refreshment in Refuge said...

Well... actually, Folger's isn't that good... and I am a coffee drinker. Community Coffee from Louisiana is great. The best tasting cheap coffee is Walmart's Great Value 100% Arabica coffee. The best tasting expensive coffee is Kauna coffee from Hawaii. Starbuck's is roasted too long.

PS... "Good to the last drop" was a Maxwell House Coffee slogan.

Heather Diane Tipton said...

okay...now see... I'm not an everyday kinda coffee drinker, but I could be very easily. But I do love good coffee. And it has to be in a french press, not in a drip coffee maker. (And btw, I put cream and sugar in mine, I think you can taste the flavors better that way. LOL) Some of my favorites are (these are all from Starbucks. Rift Valley Blend (You can't get this one all the time but yum!), Kenya, and Ethiopia Sidamo. Not that this matters to you. LOL Now of course.. . I also love getting a white chocolate mocha from Starbucks. and if you get a Barista that knows what he/she is doing even better. Have them put whip on the bottom of the cup before making the drink, totally changes the texture of the drink! okay, sorry I'm shutting up now. LOL