Thursday, January 12, 2006

Power of Agreement

Amos 3:3 poses this question: how can any two walk together unless they have agreed?

Do you find yourself walking in agreement with lies, negativity, self-pity, fear, depression? So much of our emotional battle on a day to day basis is our flesh and being in a world where the prince of the air, the devil, lies about us day and night. His lies are every where and so easy to agree with.

Me, last night: No one likes me. My writing career is over. Surely I've offended too many people. Every one is ignoring me. I email people, they don't email me back.

Blah, blah. Oh, such a sad, sad song. It was so bad I went to Tony after the first worship set and said, "Dude, I feel like I'm going to freak out." I felt condemnation like chains.

He prayed for me and I felt better. Then when I came home, I said, that's it. "GET OFF!" Did some warfare and felt a whole lot better.

We forget our war is not against flesh and blood but against the principalities of darkness in heavenly places. Read Ephesians 6.

Wage war. Do not agree with the lies of the enemy, even if you physically feel sick or panicked, fight the good fight.

I remember one time, years ago, I stood in the back of the sanctuary and oh, self pity was standing there with me, yaking in my ear. I nodded my head in agreement, my heart awakening to the sorrow of my plight. Which was, what, I don't know. Nothing. I have no real plight.

So, in walked one of our twenty-something young ladies, a single mom, really hard family life. She'd made some really bad decisions and was struggling. While I can't compare myself, I knew in that instant I would never want to trade places with this young woman (which Jesus did, btw) and I told self-pity to take a hike. "The Lord rebuke you."

I had to work at it for a few minutes, but I physically felt different when it finally left.

Who are you agreeing with, what voices real or imagined? If you are not agreeing with the Word of God, you're agreeing with you soul or the devil. Agree with God. He sent Jesus to pay an enormously huge, costly, expensive price for you. You're an heir. A princess, a prince, a ruler in your Father's house. And there's so much more where that came from. We're seeing the tip of the iceberg.

You know what? There's a tip to God's iceberg, and to the devil's. One lifts you up and gives life. That other, slowly kills you emotionally, spiritually and physically.

Choose this day whom you will serve.

Go out in joy! Be lead with Peace!

Congratulations to Margo for winning Mary's book, Made Of Honor!!!

4 comments:

Camy Tang said...

Amen, sister!

I didn't really realize it until now, but I've been fighting some warfare since I decided that for 2006, I'm going to tackle my hardest goal, year after year, which is my lack of discipline. It's been discouraging at times. I need to remember that I'm not necessarily battling only what I can see.

Camy

Anonymous said...

EXCELLENT post!

Ame said...

I love this, Rachel :) This, too, is how I live. It is a battle. Realizing it, accepting it, and defining it give me the freedom to call on the One who is in me who is greater than the one who is in the world! Works every time!

Heather Diane Tipton said...

Fighting unworthiness like I do... this is a daily battle with me. One I'm getting better at! Great post!

And hey! I LIKE YOU!