Friday, August 28, 2009

The end of the Kennedy era

I've watched with fascination the media's response to the passing of Ted Kennedy. He's treated like a demi-god.

He was a liar. A womanizer. The stories of his antics with women are legendary as well as documented. Above all, he was a murderer. All his years in the Senate, where he lived like pseudo royalty feigning to care about the little man and the oppressed, does not pay the price for murder.

Ed Klein, former foreign editor of Newsweek and editor-in-chief of The New York Times Magazine, recalling on an episode of The Diane Rehm Show that Ted Kennedy liked to joke about Chappaquiddick. Here's what he said to guest host Katy Kay.

"I don't know if you know this or not, but one of his favorite topics of humor was indeed Chappaquiddick itself. And he would ask people, "have you heard any new jokes about Chappaquiddick?" That is just the most amazing thing. It's not that he didn't feel remorse about the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, but that he still always saw the other side of everything and the ridiculous side of things, too."

He joked? About killing a woman? "He saw the other side of everything and the ridiculous?" Ed Klein finds this endearing? Please, tell me, what is "the ridiculous" about letting a woman die? It's not like Ted spilled mustard on his shirt during a Senate session. The blog goes on to say how the producers tried to backpedal from Klein's comments.

I don't think Mary Jo and her family find her death amusing. Nor see Ted Kennedy a devout servant, a man to be honored. Neither do I.
A leader should make one feel safe. I would have never felt safe under his leadership. Would've never wanted to follow him into battle. Would've never wanted him in the Oval office on a day like September 11th.

I pray Ted Kennedy stood before the Father covered in the blood of Jesus. I pray we stop honoring adulterers and murderers in this nation. No matter who they are, or where they came from.

America wake up. May the fear of the Lord falls on us.

4 comments:

Michelle V said...

Amen!

Sharon Hayes said...

AMEN & AMEN Rachel, I'd love to know how many of the "mourners" we paid - that is terrible to think but at this point I wouldn't put it past them. i haven't looked at any of the media coverage because I know it would make me sick to my stomach.

Sabrina L. Fox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sabrina L. Fox said...

Ahhh. Common sense. So refreshing.

It's like I've been living in some kind of alternative reality the last few days. I'm hearing all this stuff making him out to be a saint and it boggles my mind!!!

p.s. I had to delete my above comment for a mispelled word. I can't stand when I do that. LOL