Thursday, May 20, 2010

It's All Ministry

Great words from my hubby, Mr. Fabulous:


Friday is the last day of school, and I made it. I survived a year of teaching high school math. It’s also time to decide whether or not I’m going to teach another year. It’s definitely a challenge balancing my pastoral responsibilities with teaching, and I really enjoy aspects of both, but it may surprise you how Rachel and I are approaching the decision.


First, it’s not just a financial decision, though that’s certainly a factor, and the primary one that initially sent me looking for a second job. And I haven’t assumed that my “calling” as a pastor takes priority over my “job” as a teacher.


In fact, it would be fine with me if God said to quit being a pastor and teach full time. (Don’t worry, I don’t think that’s what He’s saying – I’m just making a point.)


My point is that if it’s from God, every job is a calling, and none is more spiritual than another. I’m not just spiritualizing here; we need to learn to think biblically about this.


“And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ.” (Col 3:23-24)


Whatever your job, you work for God, and you’re called to bring the influence of His kingdom there.

And that simplifies the decision process. I just need to know I’m where God wants me for as long as He wants me there. The rest is just details and those always seem to work out when I get the main focus right.

1 comment:

Sharon Hayes said...

One good thing Tony - since you worked hard to get material ready for classes it wouldn't be as hard the 2nd yr if you decide to teach again.

i know you will hear the Lord's voice & what you should do next season.