Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Thanksgiving memory

The fall of '76, we lived in Homestead, Florida. My parents had a large home group and we all gathered for Thanksgiving, outside, in the side yard of our house. There had to be thirty of us with kids and all.

I remember it was a breezy day with thick blue clouds hovering over us. And it was the day our family friend, Bill Hamilton, who's son Joe I crushed on for awhile, decided to teach me to drive stick shift in an old Chevy truck.

In those days, most stores were closed for the holiday but Bill was sent off to find cans of cranberry or something. I'd love to reminisce this story with him, but he's with Jesus now.

He invited me along. It's great to remember I had older male roll models besides my dad who cared for me in a fatherly way. We drove around a very quiet Homestead, streets deserted, looking for an open store. I think we finally found a Jiffy or 7-11 type.

On the way home, he said, "Want to drive?"

I didn't have my license, but I think Bill figured the population was tucked away with their own Thanksgiving celebrations and safe from any possible terror I might inflict.

I'd never driven before, let alone an old truck with a stick shift - three on the tree mind you, not four on the floor. We sat at one stop light for twenty minutes until I figured out the difference between reverse and second gear.

We finally ambled on home and I was all the wiser for having taking my first driving lesson on Thanksgiving day.

I have many wonderful Thanksgiving memories. This one happens to stand out to me.

Hubby and I spent most of the '90s celebrating with his family, and seems this past decade is a mix of his side and my side, and a few at home with friends.

I'm thankful for Jesus. The One who was, who Is and is to Come.

What are you thankful for this season?

3 comments:

Deena Peterson said...

So many things:

The faithfulness of God
My Eternal home
Our church growth
My husband/pastor
My kids
My wonderful author friends
My wonderful publicist friends
My wonderful bloggy friends
The huge blessing of my little blog

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for faith, family, friends, trials, blessings, and love. :) Happy Thanksgiving, Rachel!

Jeannie Marie said...

I'm thankful for so many things. For my wonderful family who have always been there for me. Helping me through the past hard and trying 9 years. I'm thankful that my dad is alive and has been healed from diabetes. I'm thankful for the gifts that God has blessed me with. And for all the wonderful friends in my life.

I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving, Rachel.