Sunday, February 17, 2008

Debt of Love

The other day while reading through verses for prayer, I came across this one. "Owe nothing to anyone except to love one another; for he who loves his neighbor has fulfilled the law."

One translation refers to the "debt of love."

We are indebted for so many material things in this life - cars, houses, "toys," maxed out credit cards - but rarely are we in debt for love.

To be honest, I'm not even sure I know what it means or how to do it. I did some study and searching.

Here's a definition I like. (Rachel's translation)

"Free yourself from all obligations and debts except loving each other. If you have a debt or bill, pay it. If you owe someone money or service, pay and be done with it. Move on. But love is never paid. It is always due. Love should be given daily, never out of obligation, but out of a servant's heart. If you loved yesterday, love more today."

This verse hit me hard and became the final straw to draw me to the down town ministry. I'm not sure I love daily outside of Tony, family and friends, but that's easy love. I want to daily dole out love to the unlovely, the smelly, the poor, people not like me.

I read a great quote about being preoccupied by loving God and being loved by Him! I'm so preoccupied by so many other things, but at the end of this AGE, only one thing will matter. Jesus.

Look at these One Thing verses.

Psalm 27 - "One thing I ask of the Lord, this is what I seek. To dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, gaze on His beauty and seek Him in his temple."

Mark 10:21 - "Looking at him, Jesus felt love for him. 'One thing you lack. Go and sell all your posses and give to the poor. You'll have treasure in heaven; and come follow me."

Wow. Jesus is telling him, "Love!" It's a picture of the life to come. He doesn't want this young rich man to suffer for suffering sake. Nor does He not want him to have pleasure. Jesus is saying, "The pleasures in heaven are a bazillion times better than what you have on earth."

I'm telling you, little ole praying Grandma's are going to make he Bill Gates's of the world look poor.

This is my favorite "one thing" verse.

Luke 10:41, 42 - "Rachel, Rachel (oops, I mean Martha, Martha) you're worried and bothered about so many things, but only one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good part, sitting at My feet, and this exchange between us, this intimacy cannot be taken away from her."

I've been a Martha the past few days. Worried. Bothered. Fretting. Anxious. I publicly repent. I am called to be a Mary. I want to be a Mary. We should ALL strive to be Marys.

Jesus never lies. He is telling us "one thing!" is necessary! Love and sit at my feet. Okay, so that's two things, but it's one concept. The rest of our life flows out of this debt of love.

I heard the story of a man I know and respect being caught up into heaven. Standing before the great white throne, Jesus asked him, "Did you learn to love?"

Good thing the man wasn't dead. After that encounter, he was able to adjust his life's priorities. Now I am able to adjust mine, too.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

great post dear Sistah. I am going to have Caleb read it. It goes along with a conversation we had last night

Sharon Hayes said...

Rachel, this is beautiful - I'm always moved about messages of love - and the thought of "Debt of Love" is really BIG - we are in debt to Jesus for His sacrifice for us. How easily we fall into the "Martha Martha" syndrome.

Would love to know what Bek and Caleb talked about last night. I think the Lord has put His finger on Caleb.

Thank you for being you.
Love Mom