Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Agreeing with lies

I woke up feeling heavy in my spirit. You know how it is when you get in a swirl of negative thoughts and emotions.

For some reason, that was me this morning. I realized lies were lying in wait for me to agree with them. ;)

I got to thinking. Lies are so devastating. Even little white lies. Is there really such a thing?

Tony and I have lost relationships because parents believed the lies of their children. I've lost friends because they've believed the lies and self pity of their own emotions.

Lies cause people to pull away from each other. They cause people to isolate themselves. Lies destroy.

If I believe a lie about myself like, "I can't write." Then I separate myself from my calling, my dream, my desires. Ultimately, I separate myself from God.

If I believe two of my friends are purposefully squeezing me out of a relationship, then I separate myself from them, from myself, the broader fellowship of the church, and ultimately God. Instead, I choose to believe the best of my friends - no matter how casual our friendship.

Yesterday I ran into Publix to buy salad fixings for an evening dinner I was attending. I ran into a woman who used to go to our church. We got to talking and I found out about her dreams and desires. But she hasn't pursued them because she's afraid of failing.

It's the lie of failure. So what if we fail? We will NEVER succeed if we don't confront the fear of failure.

But there are so many other lies we believe. No one likes me. God is mad at me. God hates me. I'm a failure. I can't do this or can't do that. I'm a horrible parent. You guys know. The list goes on and on.

Yet we have to believe the truth. Lies feel so good to our soul, sometimes, don't they? Weird. Self pity can be a fun party - even alone. But we cannot agree with lies.

Why?

Jesus said,
"You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies."

Father of lies means he creates them, spawns them, generates them. If lies are pummeling you, resist the devil, and he will flee. (James 4:7)

Don't let lies separate you from friends, from yourself, from God. Even being honest about your friends and family. Are they lying to you? Don't defend lies. Nothing good will come of it.

Look at our nation. We've believed lies for so long, we cannot pull ourselves out without a revival of Truth.

Believe God. He is true. "Let God be true and every man a liar."

This is what He says about you. You're His favorite one. You ravish His heart with a single glance of your eyes. He so loved you He sent His only begotten Son to die for you.

Today, take stock and bust the lies.

9 comments:

Rel said...

Great post, Rachel ~ a very powerful reminder!

Katie Johnson said...

Thanks for quoting the verse Rachel, that really told some truth. I guess we all know that old saying, "Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right." I just never thought of it in terms of Satan's wiles getting to us through our doubts. The reminder of how much God loves us and wants for us was a beautiful last couple of sentences. Thanks for sharing.
Katie Johnson

Rebekah said...

Good read. Reassuring

Kristy Dykes said...

Great post, Rachel. So meaty. So enriching. Thanks!

Kristy Dykes

Will H. Donaldson Family said...

Very thought provoking! I had to use it as reference. Also don't worry about the life skills class. It isn't that there isn't a need, it's that those who need it refuse to get it. Kind of like when we refuse to run to the Father when we know we should...
Will "who me???" Donaldson

Anonymous said...

Great post. Thanks Rachel.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this, Rachel. Very powerful and much needed by me right now!

Tina Ann Forkner said...

It's so hard to remember sometimes. We are ALL his favorite ones. :)

Pathfinder Counseling said...

I was surfing for interesting blogs and came across yours. Your comments on lying really hit home. Words (as well as the absence of words) are such powerful forces of nature. I am looking forward to reading your future postings.