Monday, September 27, 2010

Awake O North Winds

Sunday morning we sang the Misty Edward's song, Fling Wide. The opening verse is, "Awake, awake O north wind, awake, awake O south wind, blow over me."

I paused worship to explain. This song is from Song of Solomon chapter four.

v16 "Awake, O north wind,
And come, wind of the south;
Make my garden breathe out fragrance,
Let its spices be wafted abroad
May my beloved come into his garden

And eat its choice fruits!"

I know this book has been relegated to human relationships, mostly marriage, but what a disservice to this amazing book of God's love for us; of the Bridegrooms love for His Bride.

The language is poetic so we dismiss it as something we can't understand, or to snickering sexual language between Solomon and his wife. (One of them anyway.)

This book is about Jesus's incredible love for us. Why He would leave the splendor and majesty of heaven to become a man and die on a cruel cross.

Verse sixteen is talking about the seasons of life that cause us to lean into Jesus. The north winds speak of the cold trial of winter. A season in our life where things are difficult. The south winds speak of the warm gentle season of our life where life is easy and good.

In all seasons, our hearts (the garden) must breathe out the fragrance of Jesus when the winds blow. Are you in a "winter season?" Then let your heart waft with the fragrance of Jesus by leaning against Him.

Are you in a summer season? Then let your heart perfume the world around you with the love of Jesus.

We must constantly be His fragrance no matter what physical or emotional trials are going on around us.

Fling wide the door to your soul. Let the Lord in. Let the winds blow. The good seasons remind us of His goodness. The hard seasons remind us of... His goodness.

I can't know His love and goodness without them. Sure, I hate the hard seasons. I'd rather bask in the summer winds all year long, but in the winter, I learn to lean.

Sometimes it seems seasons change from one day to the next, doesn't it? Or from morning to afternoon. My summer morning can be turned into a winter afternoon by an email or twitter. It's ridiculous, really.

But my prayer is always to be leaning into Jesus. He is my rock! He is my fortress. He is my one true love.

The goal is to not create my own north or south winds but to keep my gaze fixed on Him.

What season are you in? Are you leaning into Jesus? He is the only one who can sustain you.


No comments: