Thursday, November 29, 2012

Lull Between Thanksgiving and Christmas

It's the lull week between Thanksgiving and Christmas. How are y'all doing? Can you believe K-Mart and Wal-Mart had Black Thursday sales?

I'm grieved that we nearly have no true holidays in American anymore. Stores are open seven days a week, sixteen hours a day if not twenty-four.

For what? Stuff. I saw a man first in line outside a local K-Mart at seven o'clock the Wednesday evening before Thanksgiving.

I said, "What's for sale that you're out here waiting?"
"A 36'' LCD flat screen for $97."

Ah...

As I drove to my destination I got hit with the shop-cheap bug. "Wow, that's a great deal. I could give it as a present."

"Or, we could put a TV in the turret with a Blueray player. We don't have cable or DISH but we could watch Netflix."

I'm telling y'all, it was insane. I wanted nothing until someone else was told me what they were getting.  How true is that of mankind? We covet what our neighbor has or is obtaining.

The class warfare going on in our country right now is grievous. Anyone in this country willing to work hard, yes some more than others, can achieve whatever they want. Sure, some people have more advantage -- wealth, smarts, looks, ability -- but the only thing that prevents a person from getting ahead in this country is their own laziness, bitterness, envy or greed. Or lack of ambition.

Even obstacles like prejudice or poverty can overcome by anyone willing to do the work to win over an enemy, take a college course, aim for a promotion. Look around. Open our eyes at those who have overcome!

But what we can't overcome is if the gov't continues to take, take, take and spend our money. It's our money. Not theirs. It blows my mind they are on capital hill right now discussing how to tax "the rich more." That old mantra has worn all of it's threads thin.

Sorry, I had to go on that rant for a second because that's what hit me as I left K-Mart. Greed. I wanted what that man wanted because... just because.

But I didn't want to sit all night in the cold for a stupid TV so I actually pondered ways to get what I wanted without working for it. Yes, I did.

Hmm... another trend in our society. "Who can get it for me so I don't have to leave my comfort zones?"

Once I got to youth church, and in the presence of God, my heart was realigned and I knew I didn't want a TV or Blueray player or whatever else K-Mart was selling on sale.

Kuddos to those of you who shopped 'til you dropped and got good sales on Black Friday. I know it's a blessing to many who are on a budget and have lot of people to buy for. But what I hope is that greed was not your motivator, or envy or covetousness.

I have to watch those bad boys in my life. 

Here's to the spirit of Christmas -- love, peace and JOY to the world. That's what I "covet." JOY!!


2 comments:

Stephanie Craig said...

So I'm a little late on this post. I just found your blog because of your birthday giveaway. Anyway, it's nice to hear someone with common sense. I heard so many people whine about how wrong it was to make people work on Thanksgiving, but then they were out there shopping because they just couldn't pass us the deal on ______. It made me sad how we have turned into a country or rationalizing hypocrites (I include myself in this group too because I too have failed). And like you I have to admit that I was tempted by sales too.

I'm looking forward to following your blog.

Rachel Hauck said...

Stephanie! Thanks so much for commenting. When I get on deadline I'm a horrible blogger but I try to post when I feel I have something to say!

Great to meet you!

Rachel