Monday, November 08, 2010

What's in a dream?

I believe in the power and purpose of dreams. They communicate issues of our own hearts, or perhaps the weird multi colored Cubism image of the pepperoni pizza we ate the night before.

Or the meds we're taking. Meds can really mess with your dreams. Be careful.

Largely, I think dreams come from God. Sometimes they are "Slough off" dreams. Meaning, some kind of gunk from the world got on you that day, you dream about it, some thing weird, gross, sexual that makes your skin crawl. It's your soul sloughing it off.

Psalm 127:2 says God "gives to His beloved even in his sleep."

I've seen things in my sleep, read books, heard songs, understood a relational conditions, or gained insight into a question of my heart. I've asked God for dreams when some answer or help from heaven eluded me. And He's answered. Not always, but a good bit of the time. When I've really needed insight.

God directed Joseph and Daniel in dreams, and Joseph, Jesus's earthly father. Pilot's wife dreamed about Jesus and begged her husband not to mess with Him.

On occasion, I have those "between" moments -- not awake, not asleep -- where I sense the presence of the Lord. I've gained insight there too. Clarity about a story, or life situation. Often encouraging words for others.

I've had dreams about world leaders and events. Friends of mine have had dreams about presidents -- before they were elected.

Maybe you've had a dream something bad might happen to a family member, or a national or world leader. Perhaps even your local mayor or pastor.

I had a dream once where our president sat in our sanctuary with rapt attention to the prayers and worship.

That excited my heart. And you know what? I can do nothing about it. Except pray.

Why are we given dreams? To teach, to warn, to edify, to prepare. To pray.

If you're given a dream in which you feel helpless to do anything about, the purpose is for prayer. God is calling you into intercessory partnership with His Son, Jesus.

I can't call up President Obama and say, "Sir, Jesus is calling you to His heart." I can only pray what I saw in the dream and what I felt the Lord was communicating to me through the dream elements.

If you dream someone may harm themselves, pray life into them. Pray God's destiny and hope. Pray protection.

We are ambassadors. We are Kings and Priest. We are partners with Jesus for His kingdom to come on earth as it is in heaven.

Pray for understanding of dreams. Don't just slough them off as weird or "Gee, I don't know." ASK! Look for understanding in the Word. Most of the time, you'll find a verse or chapter that expounds on the elements of your dream.

Ask for Daniel 1:17. To understand and interpret dreams and visions.

Be a wise and informed partner of Jesus so when He gives you a prayer assignment in a dream, you know how to respond.

If He reveals something of your heart, or His, again, you'll know how to respond.

Pray. Believing.

6 comments:

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

Fascinating. I usually figure dreams are just my brain's bizarre way of processing things in my sleep (if I watch a scary movie and go to bed, I dream about it) but once in a while, I've had a dream that seemed to be something more.

Rachel Hauck said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachel Hauck said...

Hey! I do think dreams mean more than we realize. I try to ponder every dream. If I get a little "ping" about it, I ponder more, praying and asking for insight.

Daniel 1:17!

Rachel

Cheryl Smith said...

Rachel,

Doesn't the Bible say something about dreams and visions in the last days? :)

I believe you're right on target here - about God's revelation for prayer or action, depending on the situation.

I love what He's doing in the Body, through you!

Rachel Hauck said...

Thanks Cheryl! Back at ya! You are salt and light, and encouragement.

Joel 2 talks about old men dreaming dreams, young men seeing visions!

Rachel

Crystal Laine said...

I love it when you talk about this, Rachel.

I'm going through another period of dreaming and some are disturbing. I'm trying to process them, of course.

I do believe as you do about dreams. That is amazing about your President dream and I do believe God would call on you to pray for him.

Dreams are amazing and I've been dreaming my whole life. I even remember dreams from my childhood. I distinctly remember one dream when I was small of being in heaven. It was so wonderful and I wanted to stay. But God told me I had to go back for now and could come again. It was so real, I have tears thinking about it 45 years later!

Anyway, love this post.