Friday, June 19, 2009

Comforted by God and One Another

I love the Word. It's so rich, deep, powerful. In the mid-'80s to early '90s, I struggled with fear and anxiety, and my prescription was meditating, ingesting, believing God's Word.

I read, "I do not have a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind," and believed it! I quoted it in the hard, heart-pounding moments, and was comforted.

I also surrounded myself with like-minded Believers. They stood with me and prayed for me. Soaking prayer was also a huge part of my deliverance. For a year and a half I attended a 6:00 a.m. prayer meeting with a handful of others, once in awhile, I'd be the only visible person in the sanctuary, and there Jesus wooed my heart.

The other day I came across this verse and it so touched me: 2 Corinthians 7:6-7

"But God, who comforts the depressed, comforted us by the coming of Titus; and not only by his coming, but also by the comfort with which he was comforted in you..."

So clearly God comforts us, sometimes supernaturally, but often by the fellowship of the saints. If you're struggling, join with the Body of Christ. Find true Believers who will pray with you, agree with you for the "peace of Jesus to guard your heart and mind."

Don't give up on his plan and destiny for you. I'm so glad I never caved on my belief that God's Word worked and would set me free. I'm living proof. He is who He says He is. Was it always easy. No way. I had to struggle and push through. But the more I gained victory, the more I gained strength in my faith. My mind and emotions were renewed and transformed.

Fight the good fight, run with endurance. Speak who He says you are, despite your feelings and emotions. His joy is your strength!

No comments: